This food is the gift of the whole universe,
Each morsel is a sacrifice of life,
May I be worthy to receive it.
May the energy in this food,
Give me the strength,
To transform my unwholesome qualities
into wholesome ones.
I am grateful for this food,
May I realize the Path of Awakening,
For the sake of all beings.
As a young engineer, I worked with Dr Brahma Prakash. He taught me how tolerance of others’ views and opinions is essential in building teams and accomplishing tasks that are beyond the individuals’ capacities. He taught me that life is a precious gift, but it comes with responsibility. With this gift, we are expected to use our talents to make the world a better place, to live an ethical and well-balanced life, and to prepare for the spiritural life – which is eternal.
Dr Brahma Prakash changed the way I saw the world. He once told me, “Kalam, if you see this world as mean and rude, it will interfere with your concentration. Negative thinking is similar to carrying twenty bags of luggage on a trip. This baggage will make your trip miserable, and progress will be slow.”
— APJ Abdul Kalam
Source: Transcendence: My Spiritual Experiences with Pramukh Swamiji by APJ Abdul Kalam
The true order of learning should be:
1. what is necessary
2. what is useful
3. what is ornamental
To reverse this arrangement is like beginning to build at the top of the edifice.
Source: how to study – George Fillmore Swain
Sometimes we read and hear a lot of words but, it doesn’t become our realization. Yesterday, while chanting hare krishna, I came upon a realization on the effect of sublime thoughts on our being. I want to categorize thoughts of 3 types:
- Heavy thoughts: (Negative Thoughts) :
- Examples: thoughts of Anger, Jealousy, Hatred, Guilt, Shame . Of course, we can call them feelings. But the root is the thought, I imagery which we have in our mind. To illustrate the point lets go through two examples:
- Consider, somebody abused you – then that event is the root imagery. This imagery will be played in the mind like a video tape. Our body then creates a response to it by sending out signals of hatred. This is a very heavy thought, as it saps our energy. If you are at work, you don’t feel like working. The feeling of tiredness will persist in you.
- Now, consider a opposite thought where, you have insulted somebody in the past. Now, the event is the root thought. When this imagery is getting played, the body creates a response to it by sending out signals ( hormones ) of guilt. This is again a very heavy thought.
- These kind of thoughts drain out the battery of the body and mind. That’s when we say, “the person lacks spirit”. This is because the poor guy is possessed of negative thoughts and he actually needs external help to resolve these inner disputes.
- Medium Weight thoughts (Positive Thoughts):
- These are thoughts like love for a person, inspiration on seeing people accomplishing impossible feats, hearing wonderful music etc.
- These are sort of medium weight thoughts as the battery of our body is not drained as fast as negative thoughts but nevertheless it is drained. Because, on the imagery of these kind of thoughts, our body releases pleasant sensations.
- Light Weight ( Sublime Thoughts / No Thought ):
- These are sort of no-thought. When your mind does not produce an imagery in the present moment. The body has not reacted to it by producing any hormones. On seeing the photo of saintly people your body feels calm and relaxed. This is because no thought is produces. It gives a real lightness of being to you. I am feeling it as difficult to describe this state. Bliss.
Gautam Siddhartha – the Buddha – has rightly said: